Thursday, October 17, 2013

While reading this post, keep in mind I just found out how my life will be for 2 years and it's a little overwhelming. Things are fine just a little nervous! Well, I got my post assignment (aka where I'll be living for the next two years). In 5 weeks I am headed to the Grand North of Cameroon. The town is called Mayo-Darle, in the Adamawa region. Pretty much scared to death. It is awfully close to Nigeria, has no electricity, no running water, and 8-10 hours from the capital city of my region and the neighboring region. I guess it's meant to be since it's everything I didn't want. I'm trying to be positive and almost broke down yesterday during post announcements but I didn't want to be THAT girl. I survived and now I'm just telling myself when I come home Ill have a lot of good stories to tell. You should look it up on google maps. It is kind of entertaining to see how there's absolutely nothing there. I guess I should be happy it's on Google though. It seems isolated but let's hope I'm wrong since that was one of my biggest fears. I have some fellow volunteers in nearby towns/villages which is comforting. So far that is a big positive I keep trying to tell myself. Also, it is apparently a little cooler there and is beautiful and mountainous. In addition, there is cell service so when I'm in need of some communication with my loved ones I'm not completely S.O.L. I will be working with a lot of women's/girls empowerment issues, which will be a good challenge and very appropriate to address since the women are not considered "free." It is predominately Muslim but also has some Christians. It is fairly conservative; women must cover their shoulders and knees, are not allowed to drink, and should not offer her hand to a man for a handshake hello unless the man does so first. I'm pretty feminist and come from a family of strong women, with a dad who said we (all girls) can do anything we set our hearts on. Adamawa should be interesting and I'm hopeful I can survive 2 years there. There is also a refugee camp there that has many opportunities for Peace Corps work. All the volunteers I've talked to seem excited which helps my anxieties. I have yet to contact the current volunteers in that area but I'm sure they will be helpful. A lot of trainees got their first, second, or third choice for post. It took me a few minutes to get over my resentment and jealousy to be genuinely excited for them. Anywhere we go, we will each have our own struggles and strengths. I hope I can overcome my struggles and don't let them get the best of me. I joked before I left the States I would be living in a mud hut and while I'm sure that's not entirely true, there may be some validity to it. I am quite certain I will have a latrine, not a bathroom and after two years I think I'll have some amazing thigh muscles. My parents said they'd come visit and I'm gonna hold them to it. I won't make them stay long but I think they would love to see my new life. Not to mention a little entertaining to see me, germaphobe Mo, living in remote West Africa. To be fair, this is what I agreed to when I first signed up for Peace Corps. Once I got in country I chickened out and said I wanted running water and electricity and a city nearby. I think this is karma and I'm just re-adjusting my outlook on how I'll be living for two years. I am truly looking forward to learning, and hopefully becoming fluent in, French, maybe even learn some Fulfulde (a local language). I think the next two years will bring many challenges, triumphs, and even more first experiences. Wish me luck as I try to be less scared about the next phase of my Peace Corps adventure here in Cameroon. For the next 4-5 weeks I will have Internet fairly consistently and love any communication with my loved ones. After that, who knows what life in the bush will bring. I'll try to keep in touch, update my blog, and reply to any messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment