Saturday, October 26, 2013

I'm lying in bed and itching my mosquito/black fly bites. Journaling has become an amazing distraction from doing just that until I konk out. I have been taking Benadryl almost every night so I can sleep and not itch all my skin off. It helps but there's still spots on my legs open to the murky bath water. I know, I need to stop scratching, picking, etc. My host sister gave me some tights the other day for any time I don't wear pants. It is kind of sweet how concerned they are for me and my bites. I was sick for a couple days and let me tell you there is nothing worse when you are away from home and in a developing country. I just wanted my clean bathroom to throw up in, a cozy couch to relax on, and mini saltines to eat. It made me miss home and my loved ones A LOT! Thankfully I'm feeling better and just need to remember it will pass every time I'm not feeling well. Even with all the struggles there are many things that I love about Cameroon. Every day there is something that makes me smile, laugh, or at least think "I'll do okay here." The beautiful sunsets and sunrises. They are pink, grey, red, among many other colors against the fluffy clouds. The fireflies or lightning bugs that no one seems to care too much about. When I see them I think about camping with my family, Bjerke cousins, uncle Brett and aunt Laura. The dogs who walk a fellow trainee to class every morning and then run around and play for a while. The taste of fresh fruit. Fresh, juicy pineapple for lunch and oranges and bananas for snacks. When my papa who rarely talks to me, angrily asks where all my mosquito bites are from. I imagine if I said the house or my room, he would lose it because he doesn't want me getting bit under his roof. When babies or kids laugh at or with me - usually due to my odd behavior, French or simply just how I look. (One exception was the little boy who was literally screaming bloody murder when he saw me. He was trying to hide behind his mom but she thought it was funny and kept trying to drag him closer to "la Blanche". Not great for the self esteem but kind of funny and I guess good to feel like and be the minority at some phase in my life!) When kids are running around playing like neighborhood kids should. Racing each other, playing "school," pushing a tire around with a stick, or playing football with anything they can find. I played pass with a toddler using a wine cork the other day. Cold water or cold cokes to satisfy my thirst and caffeine craving. I rarely have pop (or soda) back home but here there's nothing better than a cold coke in the morning. Well, I mean, if there was a City Brew around here, I wouldn't complain. The excitement of having electricity at night time. It has been cut off a lot lately and that means large creAtures in the bathroom, no charging of electronics, and an early bedtime (actually not bad though). Not having to bring a jacket every time I leave the house, morning or night. There a moment of debate in the morning since it is so ingrained from Montana, but then I remember I'm on the equator and probably don't need one. The fact that large bottles of beer (like 20 + oz) are only $1. We won't get into quality or temperature though. The amazing people I've met and will probably continue to meet from the US and Cameroon. I'm certain there's more, but for now that's probably enough. It is easier for me to post pictures on Facebook so check that out if you can. When possible, I'll post more on the blog. Also, be patient with spelling, grammar, and format since I've been typing blog posts on my notes app on my phone. I have no idea if people enjoy reading this or not but I hope there is or will be something interesting on here at some point. Miss all my loved ones!

4 comments:

  1. Moe! I love reading these! Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love reading your blogs. Perhaps one day you will write a book about your adventures in Africa and will refer to your blog.
    Take good care and know we think of you often.
    Love,
    Aunt Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I absolutely love these posts!!! It makes me feel close and makes me laugh. I love you! Alli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen thanks for continuing to share your life in Cameroon with us! I really enjoy getting to hear the adventures you encounter! Hope you’re feeling better. I imagine being sick in a foreign country must be even more miserable than being sick at home. And hope the mosquitoes leave you alone at your next location! (Wishful thinking I'm sure : ) I love you tons and can’t wait to hear about your next venture! -Heath

    ReplyDelete