Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 2, 2014 I spent the day in a nearby village. They speak Fulfulde and English because they are so close to Nigeria. I am not sure how close, but I could probably walk to Nigeria from there. It takes about 30-45 minutes to walk there through the bush. I’ve done it twice but I met a lady who does the walk everyday to come into Mayo-DarlĂ©. She is a strong woman, I should say young woman, who is the president of the new youth association there. Today I met more of the people who live in the village, without water and without electricity. They were extremely welcoming and they said a prayer for me and my counterpart (local young Cameroon man who shows me around the community and works with me). It was so sweet and it may be what everyone has been doing since I’ve arrived, it’s just that I could understand this time since it was in English. Afterwards, I felt a lot of pressure and wanted to explain I don’t have answers for everything and I can’t do everything. I’m just a young girl learning how to live again. I came back to town and hung out with my guy friend. I drank a kind of “apple juice” that is basically apple pop. It’s my new favorite. It’s got to be the most unhealthy “apple juice” I’ve ever drank. That, with my beignets (fried dough balls) for breakfast/lunch, made for a healthy diet today. After that I needed some alone time and gave my Internet key a try. It was working amazingly well and I sat and drank a Peppermint Mocha Starbuck’s Via and ate trail mix from the US. It was a good break from reality. I had Starbucks foo-foo coffee, peanuts, almonds, M&M’s, and Internet. I ate Top Ramen for dinner; it has never tasted so good. (Thanks family! All of you!) I spent the evening looking at my pictures with my neighbor and then helped my other neighbor with English homework. I feel like a parent when I help him and also understand why people say it is so hard to teach English. I try not to just give him the answers and explain in Franglish so he can grasp the concept and write the definitions/answers in his own words, but I’m afraid sometimes, after many tries of explaining, I give him the answer. I hope he is actually learning something. It is helpful for me also since I’m always needing to learn more French words and how to speak/explain in French. Now, after a few cups of Chai tea, I’m exhausted but resisting sleep because the Internet key is working so well. I see the Super Bowl is today. I’m not a big Super Bowl person, but I wouldn’t mind some Super Bowl party food and drinks. The other day, I couldn’t help but tell some fellow Volunteers the story about my sisters getting interviewed one year by a local reporter who asked them who they thought would win the Super Bowl and they responded with, “What’s the Super Bowl?” I don’t think I’m exaggerating, or making that story up, but Meg and Jess can correct me if I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment